“The Great Time Debate” followed by Members Only Reception
This event will be followed by a Members-Only Reception at CFI, 216 Beverley Street, Toronto, ON. Snacks will be provided and alcoholic beverages will be for sale.
This event is open to the public, and FREE to New and Renewing (as of January, 2010) Centre for Inquiry Friends of the Centre (Members) and one guest.
Online and phone in admission is now closed. There are tickets available at the door. The box office opens at the venue at 6pm.
The Centre for Inquiry is sponsoring an event to be hosted by the University of Toronto Secular Alliance !
On Tuesday evening, Jan. 26, three leading scholars will come together for a lively panel discussion/debate exploring one of the most intriguing subjects in all of science: the nature of time. The “Great Time Debate” will be held on the campus of the University of Toronto .
The three panelists will be cosmologist Dick Bond , physicist Lee Smolin , and philosopher James Robert Brown ; and the event will be moderated by science journalist Dan Falk (author of In Search of Time ). After a brief introduction by Dan Falk, each of the panelists will give a 20-minute presentation, followed by questions from the audience (with whole event running between 90 minutes and two hours). Afterward there would be an opportunity for book sales / signing.
Topics/questions to include:
-- How did the universe begin?
-- Was the big bang the beginning of time?
-- Why does time have a direction?
-- Could the flow of time be an illusion?
-- Is time travel possible?
Bios of the participants:
* Dick Bond is a cosmologist at the University of Toronto, and one of the world’s leading authorities on the big bang. He is the winner of numerous awards, including the Gruber Prize in cosmology, as well as the Order of Canada.
* Lee Smolin is a theoretical physicist at the Perimeter Institute in Waterloo. Known for his work on quantum gravity, Smolin is the author of The Trouble with Physics , The Life of the Cosmos , and Three Roads to Quantum Gravity .
* James Robert Brown is a philosopher of science at the University of Toronto. He is the author of five books, including Who Rules in Science? An Opinionated Guide to the Wars .
* Dan Falk (moderator) is an award-winning science journalist, and the author of In Search of Time and Universe on a T-Shirt .
This event is sponsored by the Association for Science and Reason (formerly Skeptics Canada) and the University of Toronto Astronomy and Space Exploration Society.
- File Attachment: universe.jpg