VoteSecular Response: Pierre Cyr, NDP, New Brunswick - Tobique - Mactaquac
1. Do you support the separation of religion and state, and government neutrality in all matters between believers, and atheists/agnostics?
Yes to the former. Its been the case for a few generations now in the west, but not sure what is meant by the latter.
Freedom of Speech
2. Do you believe there should be any legal limits on the criticism of religious opinion in the public square?
I didnt know there were legal limits.
3. Would you support repealing the law against blasphemy in the riminal Code of Canada?
Didnt know there were laws as well there. But there should be rules of conduct to avoid incitement to hate and violence.
4. What is your position on granting people exemptions from neutral, generally applicable laws and policies based on their religious beliefs (e.g. "religious accommodations")?
Ive no issues as long as nothing interferes with the rule of law. I dont agree with sharia for example but have no issues with religious holidays and how those people would rather celebrate other festivals han the christian ones. Or none at all if they choose.
5. Do you support granting an organization tax-exempt haritable status for the sole purpose of the "advancement of eligion", if such an organization undertakes no other charitable ctivity (e.g. feeding the poor)?
Any religion is in the process of advancing itself. Taxing religion will bring back religion into politics. Its a big mistake professional atheists make in this respect. Religion has been put out of politics or very good reasons for a long time now in the west. The fight now is in divorcing money from politics.
6. Would you support an amendment to the National Anthem Act to remove the reference to God in the lyrics of O Canada?
No god can mean anything. It can mean whatever you like. Its culturally a universal term that doesnt pander to any one religion.
Charter of Rights and Freedoms
7. Would you support an amendment to the preamble of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to remove the reference to the “Supremacy of God”?
Same as above. I dont think the country has time to indulge in a religious debate of this nature. These debates belong in the public rhealm and I see nothing preventing that from happening whether between you and the religious or between religions.
8. What position do you hold concerning the legally-binding use by religious communities of separate religious ourts (eg. in family law)?
They have no legal power.
Medicine and Health
9. Do you support the requirement that all products labeled "medicine", including homeopathic or naturopathic remedies, be required to pass the same rigorous testing as harmaceuticals?
I dont see the need to test calcium supplements or many other natural roducts... It would have to be a case by case basis. Much pharma is ither untested or tested for decades leaving people wanting basic reatments. Im also not a fan of letting pharma handle that testing. n this id agree that gov has a bigger role to play to make sure there re safe meds of all kinds natural or synthetic on our shelves.
10. Do you support vaccination as a good public health measure?
Yes as nurse I support vaccination. But we cant force people to take them... only educate them to.